Monday, November 3, 2008

Nice Note Today

So today I got a nice thank you note from a patient. Not sure if you can read it, it says how this patient was in the hospital with an NG (nasogastric) tube in place. Yes as you think it is a tube we insert through the nose, thread through the sinuses, down the throat and into the stomach when some one has been nauseated and vomiting for a number of days (sorry if that grossed any of you out). Any whoooo his grand kids were coming in to visit him and they are very young. He was concerned about them being scared and not understanding what was happening to grandpa. As a distraction we improvised and made him into an elephant (well hey the trunk was already in place). We improvised and used oxygen tubing and some plastic absorptive squares (chux) to make ears. We used cast netting to cover his tube and turn it into a trunk.

I remember seeing my Grandpa Harbour when he was sick and not understanding why he looked different so I was happy to help.

It is not always the guts medical happenings that make me love nursing, it is also the way I get to be a small part of so many peoples lives 80) and hopefully touch them for the better.


Now on a much lighter note! For halloween ben and I did not do much. Here were my personal treats. yummy !




It is hard to wear any extravagant costumes at work so all of us who were working decided to do something with our hair. Some wore ears, one spray painted her hair and this is what I did. I got some cheep tarantulas and used them as hair accents. 80)


And last but not least our newest addition to our apartment. We had the cheep square piece of glass below the lights as a light fixture in our room. We have managed to break about 4 of them when fluffing our down comforter. We decided to upgrade and get something we hopefully can not break. Ben is my handyman and got this installed in about 30 minutes. I love him.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What an awesome thing you did for both the grandfather and those children! The world should have more fun, compasionate nurses just like you.

Nanette said...

When I worked at the nursing home I always got the most satisfaction when I knew that I was helping make someone's life a little better and being able to see it in their eyes. It sounds like you are an awesome nurse. What a creative idea to make him into an elephant!

Miss A said...

That is so nice that you did that for that patient and that he wrote you a note!

And I tag you! See my blog for more info.