Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lots of photos

Well maybe not a ton but for sure some updates!!! So the past month has been busy -

-Steph my oldest sister is married!!! Congrats to her and her new hubby (mike). I am excited to have some of the Harbour clan here in Ogden with me. HE HE HE
-My good friend from work Chelsea is preggers so I threw an awesome baby shower for her with an (if I do say so myself) impressive spread of cupcakes that Steph and I make from scratch.
-I painted my fireplace!!!

I didn't grab any pics from the wedding cause I was too busy fussing over Steph (which was so much fun, all of us are so great at giving directions but not that great at taking direction)

So first pics from the baby shower - I really got a crafty nerve for this one. Ever since we first found out Chels was preg we were planning on doing a shower at our house so I had a long time to get excited for it. I occasionally love to bake and came up with the bright idea to do cupcakes and in my true nature I could not do just one kind no - I had to do seven. Thankfully my sister now lives in Ogden and I recruted her to help me.


Here we are - so gorgeous in our baking garb - trying not to eat the cupcakes


they were so good, these ones were mini chocolate -salted caramel filled. Yummy!! I did not take a pic of the first batch of caramel that I burned beyond creation - literally it looked like bubbling black tar. Not yummy.
- PS saundi - steph said I need to perfect the caramel recipe so I can mail you some salted caramels -


Then one day at work a fellow nurse (chau) and I were talking about fun gifts and we brought up diaper cakes. I had seen another person at the hospital get one from someone who had made it at home so I figured if they can do it, so can I!


So I did!! The plastic in the photo you will understand a few pics down. - So cute! Yeaaaa me.


So here are some pics of the final spread. There were white cupcakes with multi colored frosting, raspberry cheesecakes, devils food with chocolate ganache (sp?), strawberry with whipped cream frosting, the mini chocolate salted caramel ones, ....


carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, and german chocolate. Cheslea made some chicken salad and fruit salad to add to the spread. I also made a really good punch.




The gals from work and some friends came to the shower (chelsea is the one in the polka dot shirt in front of the tv)


So the other project that I mentioned was my fireplace. I love the hearth but I hated the pink terra cotta tiles on it. Maybe if we lived in New Mexico, Cali, Arizona and/or it fit with the house but I just felt it did not. So I updated it.

This is a pic of the living room when I started painting before we moved in. I took the pic before I painted the hearth white but that happened right after the pic was snapped. The green that is on the hearth in the pic was the old color of the room.


So because I didn't want to try my hand at tiling quite yet I decided to spray paint. That is right - I got a special primer for porous surfaces, primed it and then used a textured spray paint in a light tan color. It still needs a few more coats for the perfect finish but I think it looks so much better.


Our modern fireplace - I love it and I got to light the candles tonight for the first time. So pretty.

5 comments:

Charissa & Don Bishop said...

Very pretty picture!Good job on the fireplace. You should do a picture tour of your house for those of us that don't live close.

Barbie Mills said...

You are an amazing baker. What a fun project.

I LOVE the idea of candles in the fireplace. That is just beautiful, safer than candles pretty much anywhere else, and not as messy as a real wood fire. The painted hearth looks great too.

The Van Tassell's said...

Wow, that is a TON of cupcakes, that's so awesome! It must've taken you forever, but I'm sure your friend appreciated all your hard work! Your fireplace looks great and i agree with Charissa-you should do a picture tour so we can see what all of your house looks like :)

Saundra said...

Nice job you crafty lady! Your cupcakes look awesome, and your fireplace looks so good I could lick it! Oh, wait...I think I am getting mixed up with the cupcakes. :) I can't wait to come visit and see your house!

Boo said...

Sabes! When did you turn into Martha Stewart? You are absolutely incredible. I love the mantle and the baby shower looked amazing. I have never seen a diaper cake before but yours looked awesome. I'm so glad Steph is living in Ogden now. I hope to get out to visit soon.